
GregA
Mar 22, 10:55 PM
i would not like to see a larger screen, but perhaps higher definition say 360p or 480p instead of the 240p. no real updates on the OS.
I think it depends on what they want to achieve with it. Do they want a HD video unit? A portable login disk? Just a bigger 'classic'? An iPod Touch with a hard disk?
I could almost see an iPod Nano screen plus click wheel, with a 220GB HD.
I think it depends on what they want to achieve with it. Do they want a HD video unit? A portable login disk? Just a bigger 'classic'? An iPod Touch with a hard disk?
I could almost see an iPod Nano screen plus click wheel, with a 220GB HD.

tann
Mar 25, 03:54 PM
Wow! This looks insane!! I didn't realise that the iPad was so powerful!
Makes me want one more now :(!
Makes me want one more now :(!

spicyapple
Nov 28, 03:10 PM
...here is a link (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/11631/) to the CNN review of the zune.
It's funny when Soledad asks if it can do email. She might have thought so because of its size compared with the Blackberry. And then she whips out the shuffle... OMG that is classic.
Does anyone remember Soledad in a kid's computer TV show some years back? She played a computer....
It's funny when Soledad asks if it can do email. She might have thought so because of its size compared with the Blackberry. And then she whips out the shuffle... OMG that is classic.
Does anyone remember Soledad in a kid's computer TV show some years back? She played a computer....
The Sheck
Sep 13, 12:57 AM
Does the GripVue come with a screen protector?
Surely
Jan 12, 10:27 AM
if you look at the codenames for many products, and I'm talking about way back to the apple II days, air seems more like a codename for a product than the product name itself. Maybe they will announce something like they did with the "iTV" and refer to it by its codename, because they don't have a name yet and it's not even out for official release yet.
Stop making sense. It's not welcome here.
You need to be more fanboy-ish. :D
Stop making sense. It's not welcome here.
You need to be more fanboy-ish. :D
DStaal
Sep 7, 11:34 AM
On the rental vs. purchase argument...
I'm not going to touch which one is 'better' for videos at the moment. I have opinions, but nevermind.
Let's work on the technolocial aspects for a moment, shall we?
Rental requires working DRM. Period. Absolutely. Otherwise there is no way for it to be just rental: you have the file, you can watch it whenever.
Purchase doesn't. You get the file, you can use forever, because you own it.
There is no unbreakable DRM scheme. It doesn't exist today, it probably never will. This is because you, the consumer, are required to be able to decrypt the files sometimes but not others. Which means you have all the info needed to decrypt it. Which means, sooner or later, that someone will figure out how to access that info when they want to, not when the software wants to.
So, Apple requiring a purchase model is just recognizing the limitations of the technology. They have nothing they can 'take back' at the end of a rental period, and it is no cheaper (it's actually more expensive) for them to rent something to you.
There is an apparent temporary advantage to the rental model to the movie studios, since they can charge you multiple times for the same movie. It costs Apple just as much to 'rent' you a movie or sell it to you, so Apple has no advantage, and you get the same file either way.
If you don't want to keep it, just throw it out. Same difference. The rest is pricing games.
I'm not going to touch which one is 'better' for videos at the moment. I have opinions, but nevermind.
Let's work on the technolocial aspects for a moment, shall we?
Rental requires working DRM. Period. Absolutely. Otherwise there is no way for it to be just rental: you have the file, you can watch it whenever.
Purchase doesn't. You get the file, you can use forever, because you own it.
There is no unbreakable DRM scheme. It doesn't exist today, it probably never will. This is because you, the consumer, are required to be able to decrypt the files sometimes but not others. Which means you have all the info needed to decrypt it. Which means, sooner or later, that someone will figure out how to access that info when they want to, not when the software wants to.
So, Apple requiring a purchase model is just recognizing the limitations of the technology. They have nothing they can 'take back' at the end of a rental period, and it is no cheaper (it's actually more expensive) for them to rent something to you.
There is an apparent temporary advantage to the rental model to the movie studios, since they can charge you multiple times for the same movie. It costs Apple just as much to 'rent' you a movie or sell it to you, so Apple has no advantage, and you get the same file either way.
If you don't want to keep it, just throw it out. Same difference. The rest is pricing games.
MacQuest
Nov 29, 09:31 PM
He has a point about the XBox... It did start out slower but now is surely considered a predominant player in the market (no pun intended;) ).
Yeah, out of all 3 major options. [Sony, Nintendo, and miCrapsoft] :rolleyes:
Real hard. :p
I bet even I could have whipped up a console one night a few years back and kicked them out of the top 3. ;)
I remember reading sales figures in '04 between PS3 and XSUX. It was something like 74+ million PS3's to 13.x million XSUX's.:D
As has been mentioned several times throughout this thread, there are WAY more manufacturers AND models to contend with in the digital audio player market.
Yeah, out of all 3 major options. [Sony, Nintendo, and miCrapsoft] :rolleyes:
Real hard. :p
I bet even I could have whipped up a console one night a few years back and kicked them out of the top 3. ;)
I remember reading sales figures in '04 between PS3 and XSUX. It was something like 74+ million PS3's to 13.x million XSUX's.:D
As has been mentioned several times throughout this thread, there are WAY more manufacturers AND models to contend with in the digital audio player market.
cburton04
Feb 7, 08:41 PM
Hopefully it's not too big an image... e90 m3. i love this this thing to bits.
I love the sedan.
I love the sedan.
EagerDragon
Oct 23, 06:16 PM
At this rate the PowerBook G5 will be here before the Merom.

GSPice
Apr 19, 11:24 AM
Brian Tong also claims to have dated women and have friends...both statements are so obviously contradicted by his horrible fashion sense and self destructive tendency to embarrass himself with every spoken word. He looks like a Shaolin Monk merged with Amy Winehouse.
I am considering making this my signature.
I am considering making this my signature.
Mainyehc
Nov 28, 02:39 PM
What I meant by moderately high ante was the dollars spent, not the product.
I don't think we'll know what MS executives will do when Gates leaves until he's gone. Even Mr. B.
Don't get me wrong - I think the Zune is crap. However it's always foolish to ignore the 800 pound gorilla, even when it's lazy and clueless. They can wake up and buy clues.
Yes, of course... that "gorilla"-thing is a fairly good point. But don't forget about that pervasive M$ corporate culture. I'm not talking about laborious employees, like programmers or designers, which are mostly very talented people (it's not their fault - at least, not of all of them - that they have to deal with dumb business decisions and craptastic 10-20-year-old-code). I'm talking about management, which, as it seems, is quite rotten at Microsoft, and probably not just at the core. And to make things worse, there is no "Jobs" waiting on the wings to salvage Microsoft from itself, and that will be the sole reason why they won't last long (would've Apple had, if not for Steve and NeXT?)...
As for buying clues, sure! Maybe they'll hire someone from outside. But naaah, they're too proud to change their ways, I guess... They didn't do it in 20 years time, so why would they now? Sure, the XBox was a small glimpse of "innovation" (albeit not THAT useful for their survival as a company), but meh, a bit lackluster while compared with iPod+iTunes (which, ironically, were partly developed by outsiders) and the effect they had on Apple...
And as for their investment, I STILL don't get it! I mean, they didn't even bother about condensing the Zune to be more attractive... Is its thickness a side effect of having a WiFi chip inside, or a reflex of M$'s design team's incompetence at "refreshing" a 3rd party product? Was it an item SO EXPENSIVE to "develop"? And they didn't took the steps to develop an interesting alternative to the click wheel, anyway. AND its interface, from what I can tell (I haven't had the chance to try it yet, as I live in Europe... :rolleyes: :D ), is nothing special, it's just an iPod-like menu scheme with some wallpapers plastered underneath it... Big deal!
Look at the nano and the shuffle (and even the 5G). Now there are some examples of some impressive and probably expensive industrial design...
I don't think we'll know what MS executives will do when Gates leaves until he's gone. Even Mr. B.
Don't get me wrong - I think the Zune is crap. However it's always foolish to ignore the 800 pound gorilla, even when it's lazy and clueless. They can wake up and buy clues.
Yes, of course... that "gorilla"-thing is a fairly good point. But don't forget about that pervasive M$ corporate culture. I'm not talking about laborious employees, like programmers or designers, which are mostly very talented people (it's not their fault - at least, not of all of them - that they have to deal with dumb business decisions and craptastic 10-20-year-old-code). I'm talking about management, which, as it seems, is quite rotten at Microsoft, and probably not just at the core. And to make things worse, there is no "Jobs" waiting on the wings to salvage Microsoft from itself, and that will be the sole reason why they won't last long (would've Apple had, if not for Steve and NeXT?)...
As for buying clues, sure! Maybe they'll hire someone from outside. But naaah, they're too proud to change their ways, I guess... They didn't do it in 20 years time, so why would they now? Sure, the XBox was a small glimpse of "innovation" (albeit not THAT useful for their survival as a company), but meh, a bit lackluster while compared with iPod+iTunes (which, ironically, were partly developed by outsiders) and the effect they had on Apple...
And as for their investment, I STILL don't get it! I mean, they didn't even bother about condensing the Zune to be more attractive... Is its thickness a side effect of having a WiFi chip inside, or a reflex of M$'s design team's incompetence at "refreshing" a 3rd party product? Was it an item SO EXPENSIVE to "develop"? And they didn't took the steps to develop an interesting alternative to the click wheel, anyway. AND its interface, from what I can tell (I haven't had the chance to try it yet, as I live in Europe... :rolleyes: :D ), is nothing special, it's just an iPod-like menu scheme with some wallpapers plastered underneath it... Big deal!
Look at the nano and the shuffle (and even the 5G). Now there are some examples of some impressive and probably expensive industrial design...

dethmaShine
May 2, 05:24 PM
If you click on Show Content on any app and replace the first three files from an app downloaded from the app store it will happen with any app you want.
Right Click -> Show Package Contents -> Contents
Copy:
_CodeSignature
_MASReceipt
CodeResources
Then select and app not from the Mac App Store and Right Click -> Show Package Contents -> Contents
Then paste the three files. After you reboot your Mac it should work.
(This has been working since the past DP)
Im on DP 2 Update 3. This un-installation process applies to all external apps, not just MAS apps. No code, no change required. :)
Right Click -> Show Package Contents -> Contents
Copy:
_CodeSignature
_MASReceipt
CodeResources
Then select and app not from the Mac App Store and Right Click -> Show Package Contents -> Contents
Then paste the three files. After you reboot your Mac it should work.
(This has been working since the past DP)
Im on DP 2 Update 3. This un-installation process applies to all external apps, not just MAS apps. No code, no change required. :)

raymondso
Oct 23, 07:44 AM
Hoping not only MBP, but also MP.
I've been waiting too long with my money burning my pocket :(
update: sorry, should be MB instead of MP, typing mistake
I've been waiting too long with my money burning my pocket :(
update: sorry, should be MB instead of MP, typing mistake
archer75
Apr 19, 11:45 AM
It was rumored just prior to the macbook pro refresh that they might come with a small 16gb SSD drive just for the OS. Wouldn't surprise me to see that make it's way into an imac. Large SSD's are just too expensive and often times not big enough. And you only get a finite number of writes on them before they're garbage.
tny
Sep 7, 06:03 AM
Some people have recognised that the reference to G5 relates to the exterior design, not the chips inside.
Other people have figured out that the reference to "G5" is a mistaken label for the exterior design, you mean. "G5" refers to the processor, not the design. This design is going to be around for quite a while, I think; the most likely change will be to get rid of the "chin" when they are able to do so.
Other people have figured out that the reference to "G5" is a mistaken label for the exterior design, you mean. "G5" refers to the processor, not the design. This design is going to be around for quite a while, I think; the most likely change will be to get rid of the "chin" when they are able to do so.
TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 22, 02:56 PM
I hope not. That sounds transitional and I don't like where that would be transitioning to.
zombierunner
Apr 21, 04:45 AM
Performance and specifications determine whether or not it's a "Pro", not the people who use them. I'm not a professional race car driver, but my car has over 400hp. Does that mean that my car is not the high-performance sports car that the automotive world widely claims it to be?
And besides, how do you know those people aren't using heavy-duty applications? Is a thirty-second observation at Starbucks enough to justify such a statement?
dang .. afrwq just got burned lol
And besides, how do you know those people aren't using heavy-duty applications? Is a thirty-second observation at Starbucks enough to justify such a statement?
dang .. afrwq just got burned lol
ShiftClick
Apr 12, 10:24 PM
Not true. If you buy a Mac-app or iOS app all the updates for that version are free. A new version is a whole new program that must be bought again on both platforms.
What confuses you is that most iOS developers have decided to just keep updating their first version forever and not come out with a whole new version because they've decided that makes more sense on a smart phone than it does on a desktop machine.
But that's a business decision, not a technical one. A developer could do it either way on either platform.
MLB AtBat comes to mind, its been a purchase each year.
What confuses you is that most iOS developers have decided to just keep updating their first version forever and not come out with a whole new version because they've decided that makes more sense on a smart phone than it does on a desktop machine.
But that's a business decision, not a technical one. A developer could do it either way on either platform.
MLB AtBat comes to mind, its been a purchase each year.
MrCrowbar
Aug 24, 06:29 PM
One day I'll buy a mini - they look so sweet. And with a C2D they'll go sweet too!
Maybe dual optical drives like the Mac pro. This is getting standard on Macs obviously.
:p
Maybe dual optical drives like the Mac pro. This is getting standard on Macs obviously.
:p
aiqw9182
Apr 12, 09:00 PM
The basic process of "This is my source, this is my output" has been around as long as film editing. The overall look of video editing, be it tape to tape, or the current (FC7) editing layout is more or less the same. In points, out points, etc.
Anyway, you know what. Fine. You can have your new iMovie. All yours. I sure as hell can't use it. The trailers in '11 were cute, but beyond that, it's not nearly good enough for polished output. If you want am, there's your option.
All I'm asking is they leave final cut PRO to the pros who know how to use it and like the interface. I want under the hood tweaks to make it faster. Cocoa?
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/22/timeline-tweak-returns-imovie-11-to-old-school/
Anyway, you know what. Fine. You can have your new iMovie. All yours. I sure as hell can't use it. The trailers in '11 were cute, but beyond that, it's not nearly good enough for polished output. If you want am, there's your option.
All I'm asking is they leave final cut PRO to the pros who know how to use it and like the interface. I want under the hood tweaks to make it faster. Cocoa?
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/22/timeline-tweak-returns-imovie-11-to-old-school/
Rodimus Prime
Apr 23, 01:09 AM
for all your defending of this feature ... can you give me even one positive reason this is good for the average person that out-weighs the negative ones ... just one
That is a good question.
I have a huge issue with how it is done and the fact that you can not opt out of it. On top of that Apple has piss poor protection of the file and Apple history at security is not exactly the best.
There should be a way to opt out. But collecting them with out my choice is an issue.
I trust Google a hell of a lot more with the info and being more up front about it then Apple and I do not trust Google that much.
If LTD wants an example other wise you can see companies start using these feature on the phones to track employees at all time and what they do. Or in court cases them being pulled it to use against one spouse in a mess divorce.
Spying on ones spouse is another example.
That is a good question.
I have a huge issue with how it is done and the fact that you can not opt out of it. On top of that Apple has piss poor protection of the file and Apple history at security is not exactly the best.
There should be a way to opt out. But collecting them with out my choice is an issue.
I trust Google a hell of a lot more with the info and being more up front about it then Apple and I do not trust Google that much.
If LTD wants an example other wise you can see companies start using these feature on the phones to track employees at all time and what they do. Or in court cases them being pulled it to use against one spouse in a mess divorce.
Spying on ones spouse is another example.
WilliamBos
Apr 9, 04:40 PM
Manual (stick) shift cars are rare today and I'm wondering how many people still know how to drive them. How did you learn and do you have a desire to own one?
I sure can. Learnt on a Massey 35 before I was 10!! My last car, a 2000 sunfire was a stick. I would not own a small auto car.back in my trucks again: I would not mind a ZF6 Dmax/8.1 truck. But those days are gone, so autos are fine for me.
I sure can. Learnt on a Massey 35 before I was 10!! My last car, a 2000 sunfire was a stick. I would not own a small auto car.back in my trucks again: I would not mind a ZF6 Dmax/8.1 truck. But those days are gone, so autos are fine for me.
craigdawg
Mar 20, 07:51 PM
yes, this is true. but apple is not in the business to sell more computers. apple is in the business to turn profits.
tiffany's would sell more diamond rings if they cut the price in half.
BMW would sell more cars if they cut the price by 30%.
...but so what?
Exactly. Apple will stay in business as long as it's profitable; it's that simple.
It doesn't bother me that Apple has low single-digit marketshare and it doesn't necessarily bother Apple as long as they continue to make money.
And I don't know if a $500 - $600 loss leader Mac would guarantee an increase in desktop marketshare. (This is different to me than the loss leader that ITMS is). The only effect it would have would be to decrease profits.
tiffany's would sell more diamond rings if they cut the price in half.
BMW would sell more cars if they cut the price by 30%.
...but so what?
Exactly. Apple will stay in business as long as it's profitable; it's that simple.
It doesn't bother me that Apple has low single-digit marketshare and it doesn't necessarily bother Apple as long as they continue to make money.
And I don't know if a $500 - $600 loss leader Mac would guarantee an increase in desktop marketshare. (This is different to me than the loss leader that ITMS is). The only effect it would have would be to decrease profits.
Linito
Sep 6, 09:30 AM
Poop. And I was hoping for a $100 price drop.
No comments:
Post a Comment